4 tangerines (GBFood)
1 lemon, zest & juice (GBFood)
2 cups of water
1 cup of sugar
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 cinnamon stick
2 fugi apples, with skin, thinly sliced (GBFood)
1 d'anjou pear, with skin, thinly sliced (GBFood)
2 grapefruit (GBFood)
1. Take one of the tangerines and cut peel off in a corkscrew fashion about an inch wide. Save the inside of this tangerine for step 5.
2. In a 2-quart saucepan, bring water, sugar, brown sugar, tangerine peel, lemon juice & zest, to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove lid and scrape bits of lemon zest back into mixture, and let simmer for 5 more minutes.
3. Slice apples and pear, spreading them in a 5-quart dutch oven (or large pot). When step 2 is finished pour the mixture over the apple and pear, and let sit over no heat for 30 minutes.
4. Meanwhile cut both ends from remaining 3 tangerines. Cut off the rinds and all of the pith from each tangerine by slicing from top to bottom, following the contour of the fruit. Repeat for the grapefruit.
5. With a large bowl underneath, slice the tangerines cutting between the membrane, and let each piece with any juice fall into the bowl. When finished slicing, squeeze the remaining juice from the membranes into the bowl. Repeat for grapefruit. If the pieces between the membranes of the grapefruit are really large, just cut two slices from them.
6. Combine all ingredients in the large bowl, cover and refrigerate overnight. Remember to remove tangerine peel and cinnamon stick before serving. This dish is a fantastic addition to any holiday table. Make the night before and enjoy at breakfast!
Click here to place your weekly order with Green Buffalo Food.